Sunday, April 22, 2007

Got Boof Goes South

Tallula Gorge

Recently a few member of the Got Boof Crew put in a blitzkreig style trip to hit some North Georgia Whitewater over a cold spring weekend. Rick Bauer sent us the following:

A few of the Got-Boofers spent Easter weekend paddling the Tallulah release, which made for an awesome weekend. Keith Pasquarello, Steve Bloskis, Bill Powers, Scott Loveland, Issac and Amos Ludwig, and myself (Rick Bauer) were fortunate enough to get to make the trip down and catch this beautiful run.

We ventured south and caught a run on the Chatooga Section IV, which was slightly above minimum level from what we could gather. This was a nice warm up to the weekend, but we were disappointed with the run considering all the hype we heard prior to the trip about Section IV. I was paddling my newly acquired Pyranha Burn, which I thought I had outfitted properly. Bulls Sluice proved me wrong however when after flipping, I had my legs slip out of my thigh hooks resulting in a swim...other than this, the run was uneventful. (Other than the crazy goose that decided to attack Issac when he paddled to close to the gooslings hanging out in the middle of the river, which made for a great laugh).

Nice Boof!

We camped and woke up Saturday and headed to Tallulah. Beautiful! We had a fantastic run and lots of fun. Everybody fired up Oceana, and it was a blast. Sunday was a second run on the Tallulah for everybody but yours truly. Unfortunately, I got a stomach thing and spent the day puking while my amigos were out tearin' it up. Keith's daughter came up from college and rafted the Tallulah with her dad and an AW worker that was lucky to grab a seat in Keith's Mini-Me. Though I was not there, imagining that raft headed right at "The Thing" at Oceana is amazing. According to the reports from everybody else, Sunday was a great time as well.

What A Group

Scott Loveland Flying Boof

Keith Pondering His Next Move

Monday, I felt a bit better and decided to hit Section IV again before heading north. The run was fun and mostly uneventful, minus Keith's swim at Woodall Shoals. Oh yeah, plus the psycho goose attacked Scott this time, which made for a good laugh again. We stopped at one of the creeks feeding into the Chatooga and paid our respects to Ned Beatty's loss of manhood with a quick moment of silence. The paddle out of this run is a miserable 2-2.5 mile flatwater paddle with a constant wind in your face...kinda takes away from the run...but keeping in good spirits...we were on the water, and that’s always a good thing.